Re: [Harp-L] James Cotton recommendations

In a message dated 7/20/06 10:42:25 AM, ericgar85@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Hard Again---
Muddy Waters with your boy James Cotton,,,,
pine top, otis spann, johnny winter..
...that album made me start playin harp.

eric >>

This is basically the Muddy Waters band of the time, with Johnny Winter, who
made the recordings come about. Some great stuff, but Otis Spann is not on
this recording. I do believe that Walter Horton is on some of it.
Cotton is a harp giant. His early period recordings on Sun are great, his
work with muddy circa 60-64 are great(I do believe there are recordings of the
band without Muddy with Cotton leading some), His mid 60's James Cotton band
recordings are great and show his development into what would later become the
70's James Cotton band(100% Cotton, Live and on the move) where he really fused
blues with rock n' roll and fusion jazz elements. I don't think there is much
not to like with James Cotton.
HB