[Harp-L] John Lennon/Delbert Mcclinton

going on a slight tangent...

" Love me do features John Lennon after he had some lesson fron Delbert McClinton. McClinton was touring with a Bruce Channel who  had a hit "Hey Baby"."

I was watching a show on PBS about John Lennon's jukebox recently.  A somewhat portable device that had 41 45s in it.  the premise of the show was that they discussed each of the records in the jukebox and how they may have influenced/inspired John Lennon.  As you mentioned, James, "Hey Baby" was one of the songs on the jukebox, and they talked to Bruce Channel and Delbert about it (an interview that took place sometime in the not so distant past) and Delbert said, dispelling the myth, that he had never given Lennon harmonica lessons, but figured that his part on Hey! Baby was an inspiration for John to pick up the harmonica and that's how that story must have got started.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/shows/lennon/index.html

Jim.

>>> "James" <wasabileo@xxxxxxxxxx> 7/24/2006 1:44 PM >>>
How about best selling? Please Please Me and Love Me Do both sold 1.1
million copies of the single.So again, I think the rock genre has sold
the most records.

Funny you should mention them. Love me do features John Lennon after he had some lesson fron Delbert McClinton. McClinton was touring with a Bruce Channel who  had a hit "Hey Baby".
I suppose we can talk about big hits like Piano Man -Billy Joel and Take the long way home- Supertramp and they sold more copies than LIttle Walter, Walter Horton and Sonny Boy Williamson combined but how inspiring are they to the majority of folks on this site?