[Harp-L] Re: Studio charge for harmonica

Chris suggested:
$1000 per song + $150 per hour

Ummm, well, I certainly admire your chutzpah, Chris. :) Wish they all paid that much. But after 30 years of recording, I have to admit that if I'd held out for that kind of scratch, instead of having 170 CD credits, I'd have exactly 3.

I've found that one must be flexible -- there are no hard and fast rules. Sometimes a project has a very small budget, but is musically intriguing. Sometimes the budget is bigger, but the producer is a pain-in-the-arse. Sometimes it's a session that may not pay much but can give you high-profile exposure. Lots of factors have to be taken into consideration. But if it's somebody I don't know at all, usually the first question I ask is, "Is it a union session?"

If the answer is "Yes," then no further questions are necessary -- I'll get scale or better. (Usually double scale actually, since that's what they pay for overdub sessions, and most of my session work is, in fact, overdubs.)

If they answer "No," (which is more often the case, ) I start out by telling them that union scale is about $150 per hour with a three hour minimum, and that overdub sessions usually pay double scale.

After they get done choking, I ask them if a label is underwriting the recording. If they say "No," I tell them that I'm flexible and ask them to to make me an offer.

After having heard what double scale is, usually their offer is more than I would've asked for to begin with... ;)

good luck and cheers,
Tom Ball
http://www.tomball.us