[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 35, Issue 64

Tim Moyer wrote:
"Lately, I've had to satisfy myself with 1) and 2).  There's no money in
live music at my level."

I have to chime in here. Tim Moyer lives and gigs in Austin, Texas. For all
it's beauty and wonderment, Austin being the "live music captiol of the
world" is suffering from a supply and demand issue. We have a boat load of
musicians and gigging bands in this town, and the competition is fearce to
say the least. I am sure that the money Tim is making while gigging has
nothing at all to do with his level of musicianship. There are others in
this town too - like Gary Primitch, Cara Cooke, Mel Davis, Michael Rubin...
man, the list goes on. There are even plenty of decent "obscure" harp
players in this town - in addition to those men and women who belong to the
local HOOT chapter here in Austin. (please forgive me for any exclusions)

I live in Austin, I have heard Tim Moyer play many times. I think Tim is
beyond the level of amateur. My wife even wonders why he's "not on records"
when she hears him play. So it ain't the level he's at - it's this town.
It's jam packed with musicians, and the venues we play at - generally start
you off with just tips, then a piece of the bar, then you can get gigs
taking cover charge.... but those gigs are generally for nationally known
recording artists or in slots at popular clubs where harmonicas are unknown
in any form.

But Moyer is too damn modest if ya asked me.. and ya didn't.. so I am tellin
ya. =)