Re: [Harp-L] how much are you getting paid at your gigs?

My intention is not to continually disagree with Larry but I thing he's slightly of the mark here... There is money in every town and you have to figure out how to get it. Phoenix is a terrible town for music yet at one point I was booked four nights per week and getting a minimum of $100 per man per three hour gig with the exception of sundays where we got $75 for a two hour gig.
---Hmm...gotta sort of agree with Larry here, Chris. Depends on where you live. I live in the coalfields of West Virginia, perpetually in economic doldrums, and what you would call a rural area. True, there IS money in here, and I have figured out how to get it: play country and/or Southern Rock. I mean no disrespect to those musics but that's not what i do. The market for what we play is very slight...we manage a couple of gigs a month, and I average making maybe $75 a gig, but I often play for less.
Sometimes we get the usual high dollar jobs: wedding receptions, private parties, festivals, and I have made as much as $350 for a three hour gig, but that's the exception. I play because I love to and because I need to; if I were in a city I would hope I'm competent enough to make more money than I do playing here.
But I don't live in a city. Phoenix, by the way, may well be a lousy town for music by your standards, but I assure you that by West Virginia standards it's a frigging meca!!!
WVa Bob
P.S. By the way, I recently bought a Sennheiser mic from Chris...hands down the best mic for "acoustic" harp I've ever played thru.