Re: [Harp-L] Scratch My Back

In a message dated 7/28/06 2:39:13 PM, dmf273@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> There's a discussion of Slim Harpo going on over at reelradio.com.   On
> March 25, 1966 WABC New
> York DJ Dan Ingram played "Baby Scratch My Back" on his AM radio show (and
> contributed some very
> amusing patter at the end of the song.)  On that date, the tune was #16 on
> the charts but for
> various reasons being discussed on that website, you probably won't find
> that song on the
> playlists of any Oldies stations today.
>
> Listening to the opening harp intro, it's a simple solo that just hooks you
> and pulls you into the
> song.  Today's players seem to place so much emphasis on speed and flash.
> I'm sure many of them
> could play rings around Slim Harpo but I wonder how many of them could have
> created such a
> compelling intro to a hit record?

   I spent some time learning the intro to Slim   Harpo's "Rainin' in my
Heart," finally discovering that it wasn't complicated at all, but still hard to
play just right. If you can't play 3 draw perfectly, you can't play that lick.
Good practice and I still love the song. I doubt Slim Harpo would get much
attention today, but that's a statement about today and not Slim.

Still a fool for the Harp
Steve 'Moandabluz' Webb