Re: [Harp-L] Scratch My Back

On Jul 28, 2006, at 3:37 PM, jazmaan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

There's a discussion of Slim Harpo going on over at reelradio.com. On March 25, 1966 WABC New
York DJ Dan Ingram played "Baby Scratch My Back" on his AM radio show (and contributed some very
amusing patter at the end of the song.) On that date, the tune was #16 on the charts but for
various reasons being discussed on that website, you probably won't find that song on the
playlists of any Oldies stations today.

Listening to the opening harp intro, it's a simple solo that just hooks you and pulls you into the
song. Today's players seem to place so much emphasis on speed and flash. I'm sure many of them
could play rings around Slim Harpo but I wonder how many of them could have created such a
compelling intro to a hit record?
_

Nice intro on Fannie Mae, Hey Baby, High Heel Sneaker and a LOT of other good old rythm & blues tunes. See, that's a big problem nowadays. People forget the rythm part on their way to tossing out neuclear torpedoes.
smo-joe