[Harp-L] Gig list and gig announcements

I'll echo what many have already said about the wonderful resource Danny provides.
I'm grateful that such a comprehensive posting is available,
and appreciate the time and effort required. Danny deserves our thanks and
our support.

The "Hey everybody/anybody...we're playing at the (insert) tonight/ this weekend" posts
do not seem like an appropriate posting for this type of list. I appreciate the sentiment
behind these announcements, and even how they serve a useful function for both
performer and potential members of the audience. Benefits of note, last minute updates
to changed gigs or even last minute 'new' gigs by noteworthy performers seem worthwhile exceptions.
But...this isn't a local or even regional listserv. Danny asks for updates to his very generous
and inclusive listing of gigs on a regular basis. If you have an upcoming show you want to
promote, take the time and make the effort to submit it on a timely basis.

I live in Iowa. My band used to play 50-60 shows a year. My guess is that 99.8% of the
subscribers to this list do not live within a reasonable drive of my shows. That figure
may vary depending upon where YOU live, but it doesn't make your gig or your band
any more or less worthy of the extra bandwidth.

Danny's list also allows you to post your personal or band website url.
If people want to bookmark it and check it for your gig updates, they will.
It would seem appropriate for people to announce their harp-related websites, too.
But not to continually announce them week after week.

We're a big list, folks. And listservs require that we go along to get along.
That also means that we show some collective awareness and some self- restraint.

Danny's list works. Let's support his efforts and use it.

Will
www.bigwoodenradio.com