Re: [Harp-L] simple tunes

Well, Toots has some fun with this tune on his "Apple Dimple" album (1990). He takes it at a pretty slow clip, but I suspect he could cut it up to tempo ;-)

- Slim.

http://www.SlideManSlim.com

Jonathan Ross wrote:

Still, this goes with something I've been working on lately. It's interesting how a seemingly simple tune can be extremely hard when you actually sit down to try it. For instance, the head to the Strayhorn (Ellington band) piece "Take the "A" Train" is, IMO, unplayable on diatonic and pretty close to it on chromatic (at speed). It's a very simple melody on paper, and quite easy on most instruments (a snap on mallets and keyboard, for instance--I can't say for others, but obviously sax players have no problems with it) but on either diatonic or chromatic it just does not lay well at all. I've tried it in a few ways on diatonic, and with a couple of tunings (standard, Paddy Richter--on both Richter and XB diatonics) but it just doesn't work. The speed,the bends and the jumps involved are just incompatible to put together successfully.

It's really not much better on chromatic--the jumps, speed and particular slide usage are just plain nasty. I can do it, but not well. Perhaps the traditional trio players might have insight into this, as they seem to have a great ability to play quite fast with similar tunes. But, I've never heard any harmonica player do this piece that I can recall, so that might be significant.