Re: [Harp-L] re: Tea...

Some good points jazmaan. I still don't hear it the way you do, but nothing wrong with that.

Just wanted to point out that in the snippet below, you chopped off my sentence, and thereby lost the meaning. What I said was related only to interval jumps, not other musical aspects. We do agree on this point. And yes, it is relatively easy on guitar. And, actually, if you listen to some Gary Burton recordings, he has been known to actually bend notes on the vibes, although I have no idea how he does it ;-). My original quote:

I agree (and who wouldn't?) that the harmonica is not as versatile as piano, sax, guitar, etc.. when it comes to interval jumps, although corner switching can certainly help.

- Slim.

Jonathan Ross wrote:

jazmaan wrote:

"I agree (and who wouldn't?) that the harmonica is not as versatile as piano, sax, guitar, etc"

I wouldn't. The harmonica can be every bit as versatile as any instrument, but it depends on what you ask it to do. There are things a harmonica can do that any of those can't and vice-versa. I didn't bring this up as an example of versatility, but rather an example of what are the challenges unique to the harmonica for a specific song, which just happens to be easy on most other instruments (though I can't say about guitar offhand). I wouldn't expect a xylophone to bend notes, but that doesn't mean it's not a versatile instrument.