Re: [Harp-L] Take the A-Train

   On The subject on playing "A-Train", I agree with JR, it looks quite simple on paper, but in your Mouth, it can be a MAJOR MO-FO to execute smoothly. This is really one of those tunes that 'corner switching' becomes THE way to go. I remember discussing this song years ago with Galison and we both agreed on it's complexities with reference to the wide leaps.

      I tend to agree with Slim's comments that you go ALWAYS approach the tune from a "Musical" reference. Toot's used to tell me, certain Jazz Tunes just don't lay right on Chrom so FIND another TUNE or find a way to make that 'Melody' groove and NOT sound mechanical.....

      You have to be willing to incorporate different methodolgy, embrouchure and technique if you are going to tackle the 'Tuffy's" ie: "A-Train".....but NEVER give up...it can be done.

       Good Luck and BTW the way, don't forget to check out LES THOMPSON's version of "A-Train" from the 50's LIVE w/ Wardell Gray and a monster Jazz band from the west coast!

  "Get way up to Sugar Hill in Harlem",-)
  rob paparozzi