Re: [Harp-L] Stupid volumes and egos

Volume these days is so over the top that it has become hopeless to try and
do anything about it. I have poor hearing, some of it hereditery and some from
being around loud music. I finally bought musician ear plugs, the kind that
allow the frequencies through, but cut the decibel level significantly.
   My volume story: Memorial weekend we were playing at an annual gathering a
friend of mine hosts, with a PA set up in his garage and lots of musicians
providing the entertainment. A fiddle-playing bluegrass friend of mine, there
for the first time, couldn't believe his ears (what remained of them after a
short while). Then he looked and half the guys up there playing were wearing ear
plugs while they played. This, friends, was in a small garage, for Christ
Sakes. I set up my Champ to be reasonably competitive, put in my own ear plugs,
and away we went.
   Im not sure where all this volume thing started, but I have a hunch it 's
 just because we can. Amps and PAs are so good now and affordable etc etc..
   A friend and I are trying to get something acoustic going, because we are
just plain tired of the volume. I hope enough people can still hear by the
time we get our act together.

Still a fool for the Harp
Steve 'Moandabluz' Webb