Re: [Harp-L] One more glass thing Types of glasses

On Jun 13, 2006, at 5:46 AM, Jason Ricci wrote:

I'm so searching for the right tin cup...and I'm always bringing harps into
pawn shops and stealing glasses from bars etc...I'm never satisfied with any
of them for very long..certain glasses seem to work better for certain keys.
I like the cheap,thin aluminum coment stated earlier I sort of look for that
in glass as well....I want a deep resonator and opening on the top that's
not to thin or too wide etc....I generally ask the bar for a whiskey glass.

The reason I mentioned cheap, thin is because an aluminum or steel pop can works really nice if not for two grating problems.
#1 after you cut the top off, you're left with a razor sharp edge that requires covering with masking tape to keep you from getting all sliced up.
#2 the cans are Soooo thin that they crush easily.

Now you could cut the top 'inside' the welt, but thats pretty tough even with a GI can opener as it is set so deep. (I HAVE used a small pen knife). I HAVE tried various cups and glass items that a chef would use (daughter is a chef) but they are generally too robust and don't vibrate enough.

My first foray into the 'glass' world was to use an 'Ecco' anodized alum glass as made in the late 40s early 50s. They came in various candy apple colors (green, blue, red, orange). Mine happens to be green. Still, in all, they are a little too thick.

At a past spah, Winslow the Great used a chef's 'saucier' mixing carafe made of stainless steel. Stainless is usually a little too strong but beings that anything Winslow doesn't know ain't worth knowing (when it comes to presentation), he managed to get some really good sound out of it.

smokey-joe