Re: [Harp-L] new music recorder available

randy singer <randy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> just bought a really cool mp3 player/recorder for about a hundred
> dollars.
>
> Here are the reasons i bought it.
> -it records to the internal one gig hard drive DIRECTLY to MP3
> - is the size of a pack of matchsticks
> -my computer recognizes it as a hard drive so i can drag my files
> into the computer

*this* is so important, an absolute showstopper requirement for any
such device. much as i love my minidisc, i would never ever buy another,
or likely any other sony product, because they force you use their own
proprietary software to get your files off the device.  rarely does this
happen without errors, crashes, reboots.  a major pain.  not to mention
that it means i cannot use it on linux or mac os, so i'm forced to keep
a windows machine around for no other reason than to rescue my
recordings.

> This unit is not designed for the audio purists among us (hi gary),

who, me?  that's funny.  the real audio purists would tar and feather me
for my toy rig.

> but for casual recording. I myself like to record my shows for
> posterity but do not need my shows in aiff format, etc, This unit is
> extremely low in price, fits in your neck with the lanyard and
> enables quick conversion to your computer in small mp3 formats.

sounds great.  that allows impromptu use, which opens up all kinds
of possibillities.

> I think i will have to retire my minidisc recorder...........

feel free to send it to me for decomissioning.

----
Garry Hodgson, Senior Software Geek, AT&T CSO

Can't you hear my lambs a callin'?
Oh good shepherd won't you feed my sheep?