RE: [Harp-L] Blow/Draw Switch at Hole 7

Can someone explain to me why the Richter tuning pattern of blow/draw switches at hole 7 on a diatonic? And has anyone tried setting up a harp so that there is no switchover (draw bends and overblows across the entire harp)?

Jonathan Metts

I know there's a good reason for it but it drives me nuts - not on the diatonic, which I play nearly all the time so my muscle memory is ingrained - but when I make the occasional switch to chromatic. I'm all over the place then in the top octave. If I could just tell my stupid brain that the pattern is identical to the octave below! Either that or practise my scales on the chromatic a lot more...but I am getting old...