Subject: [Harp-L] possible usefulness of natural minor harmonicas

Cara Cooke writes: (excerpted)

"Ashokan Farewell:  Plays fine in 1st position on a C major  diatonic with one
bend on hole 3 to get an A, but has an important Bb  in the second part that
ends up being a 6 overblow.  On the Am  (natural) harmonica, the Bb is
available as a bend.  Hmmmâ So if I  play this tune in C major on an Am
(natural) harmonica in 6th position  (to get the C major scale), I can play
the tune with a bend on 2 to get  a G, a bend on 3 to get a B, and a bend on
6 to get the Bb.  Now I  don't need an overblow to play all the notes in the
song.  I just  need a natural harmonica that can produce the correct major
key.   (Since this tune is most often played in D major, a Bm  (natural)
harmonica would produce the correct major key.)"

......wow, Cara.  Thank you!  I'm nuts about this  tune...and have wanted to
figure it out for so long....I have it on a  compilation CD and just couldn't
get the key.  I love the way  you explain and lay everything out....you're an
incredibly calm and  patient teacher.  I'm so happy you'll be at SPAH.
Looking  forward to meeting up with you again...y'think maybe you could persuade
Mr. McCoy to hitch a ride with you?   - That'd sure be the icing  on the cake.
<G>

Elizabeth