[Harp-L] Re: Denver SPAH 06 Seminars

Smo-Joe responds (snipped) to my:

" I don't see any reason why Slidemeisters can't do the same thing if
> they want to meet people they've spoken with here but never  actually
> met...to gather at the bar or lounge just to be  introduced."

Smo-Joe:  "Yes, that's what I think. It's never a  bad idea (either) to
simply walk
up to someone whom you don't know  from a bag of hammers and introduce
yourselves. Dennis Gruenling did  this to me the second time I ever saw
him. I was  impressed.
Harmonica people are good people. Think about it. Do you  think YOU're a
good person? Do you love harmonica? Then why wouldn't  someone else (who
likes harmonica) be any less than you  are?

(note: you being the rhetorical..(note: you being the rhetoric
smokey-joe"

......I would've been too, Smo-Joe...since I think Dennis is  inherently shy.
 You should be flattered!....and while I also think  it's a lovely offer from
Roger Bale...to suggest an actual meeting room at  SPAH...that kind of
changes the whole concept of a nice free-flowing  relaxed "meet and greet" into a
much more formal sit down meeting around  what is more likely a table (if the
rooms in the other conventions' hotels  are any indication)....and that's just
not my cuppa tea at all.   'Course I'm the new kid on the block here...so my
vote doesn't really  count   :)

I still like the idea of congregating in the Lounge/Bar area
informally....one doesn't have to drink...the Bar is usually right next to  the restaurant
where you can get a nice cup of tea or coffee  or have a soda instead....but for
me it's a way to move around, chat  with a lot of folks in a short space of
time.  In a conference room  type set up....it'll seem too much like an actual
meeting for my  taste...and won't give me the flexibility to move on when it's
time.   Unless the "room" Roger was talking about could be the type of very
nice  Atrium they had at this last Hotel for Buckeye...open to the
lobby....lots  of glass, many small tables and comfortable lounging areas...that  could
definitely work..

But...for me, there is usually SO much going on already at SPAH  ...one can
barely manage to coordinate the different events one  wishes to attend as it
is....fitting yet another organized "meeting" into  the mix will be tough.
Something to ponder on...

I'll be wearing my SPAH name tag.  That's sufficient.   Enough people know
who I am by now...and since most of my friends are  Harp-L people and I've been
posting there for a good while, it wouldn't  be proper to identify myself as a
Slidemeister and not as a  Harp-L'er....so I'll do neither.  Y'all'll just
have to figure out  who I am and come up and say hello  ;)

 I could maybe decide to hang out with Smo-Joe for a  bit, now that Grizzly
Baehr's not going.

Anyway....just wanted all of you to know that there WILL be some  chromatic
playing at Jason Ricci's harp blow-off on the Tuesday night at  Herman's
Hideaway.  I believe it starts at 7:30p.m.  Jason is  trying to make this an annual
event.  It's basically a Blues night,  but I'm told there will be chromatics
involved, and fabulous people  there.  It's 12 miles from the Denver
Renaissance...you can look it  up on Mapquest..or I'll send you the directions.  I'll
probably share  a cab with friends...or hope a couple of people have rental cars
to share.  Last year's event at Knuckleheads in Kansas City, Mo was taped and
the  proceeds from those of us who bought the tapes ended up being donated to
 help Pat Ramsey (one of Jason's guests) to recoup his tremendous losses
from Hurricane Katrina.  I've watched those tapes a couple of times  since
then...and they're just amazing...wouldn't have missed that night  for anything.

Elizabeth