Re: [Harp-L] The Big Fat

David,

          Where may we find this TAJ gem...The Big Fat???

  Taj is a MUCH underated Harp Player!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  best,
  rob

"jazmaan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dmf273@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Tonight I discovered a rare Taj Mahal harmonica instrumental from 1970 called "The Big Fat" (not
to be confused with his better known "Bacon Fat".) It's a Bb second position blues that is
deceptively simple in that most of what Taj blows is just rhythmic variations on the note Bb!
When I tried to play along I realized that he is using the 2 draw and 3 blow in an almost circular
breathing thing with a few octaves thrown in. And he's constantly shifting his patterns to drive
the song. He really proves that you don't need a whole lot of notes to be musically compelling.
You just need a magical sense of swing that never quits! Now I'm inspired to fire up the
metronome and practice my 2 draw 3 blow variations!