From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of ChipComcast
Sent: Friday, March 03, 2006 12:42 PM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] Mardi Gras Mambo

Harpers-

 As a charter member for the past 5 years I have marched with an insanely
large New Orleans styled street band called the Wild Bohemians.(They have
been doing it for 15 years!)  I found a way to integrate the harmonica into
this cacophony of sound.
Over the top of my costume I wear a rollerblade fanny pack with flat harps
on one side and major keys on the other.
The water bottle pouch holds a hardy Green Bullet and I attach a small
amplifier on my right side.
I replicate horn lines and provide rhythmic chugging.  When it gets 'weird'
I throw beads and 'shake things.'
It is a lot of classic Mardi Gras parade tunes and dirty dozen brass band
stuff, like "Eliza Jane" & "No it ain't my fault".
This year we had 2 trombones,1 tuba,1 sousaphone,2 banjos,1 accordion,1 bass
drum,
1 snare, 2 trumpets,2 clarinets, 1 percussionist and yes 1 harmonica.
We also did a club date and raised 1000.00 for habituate for humanity and
the money is
ear- marked to help rebuild a musician's home in NOLA.
Increasingly, we get more & more street gigs...it really fun & folks love
it!

Just thought I'd let everyone know about the diversity of our little
whistles.

James Day
www.jameswday.com