Re: [Harp-L] Which PA System?

I checked out powered speakers and mixers. They're nice, but 1. you need AC power running to EACH speaker AND the mixer, and 2. they're expensive.

That's why I went with a Carvin Stagemate. It's a compact 10" 2 way enclosure with a 100 watt 4 channel (plus a pair of RCA line level inputs on a single volume control) PA built into the back. It has a built-in battery (12 volt 7 AH gel cell) that'll run it for about 4 hours according to Carvin - YMMV. Add a second gel cell for double time, or the same with a 2nd speaker. Carvin has matching speakers. Or run it from your cars lighter plug, or plug it into the wall to power the system and charge the internal battery(ies).

It's 60 watts RMS as-is; 100 watts with a second 8 ohm speaker. Channel 1 is optimized for acoustic guitar, with a treble boost switch and 3 band EQ. Channels 2 thru 4 have 2 band EQ, 1/4" and XLR inputs. It also has a pair of RCA line level jacks on a single volume control (tape in). It has a standard speaker stand mount.

As-is, it sets up in a couple minutes, sounds great, and gets the job done. Put it on a stand, run an optional cable to an optional 2nd speaker, plug in your mics and instruments (and optional 12 VDC or 117 volt AC power) , and you're ready to go. It's perfect for acoustic guitar (or clean hollow body electric), acoustic harp, and two vocal mics in a Borders or moderate acoustic volume outdoor type venue. If you need to monitor your sound, you can either stand in front of the 2nd speaker, point the 2nd speaker toward the performers, use a passive monitor as your 2nd speaker, or use the line level Monitor out (1/4", has its own volume control) to drive a powered Hot Spot or similar.

My two gripes are 1. it doesn't have phantom power (my favorite vocal mic is a Shure SM-87), and 2. it has no insert point for effects, EQ, feedback exterminator, BBE, etc. But in all fairness, it's not intended for this type of service. It's a stupid-simple PA for very basic applications.

I run vocals, guitar, harp, and organ bass pedals thru mine. Bass pedals require a bass amp capable of handling a loud, deep 5 string bass. I modified my Stagemate so that, when I plug a 4 ohm speaker into the (formerly) headphone jack, the built-in speaker is fed frequencies above ~500 Hz and full range sound is fed thru the headphone jack. Of course, the headphone jack can no longer be used for headphones (the limiting resistor is gone), but I don't need that feature. I use this with a Peavey 115BX bass cabinet. When I do outside gigs (especially when I need to move in/out quickly), I put the Peavey on my gear cart face-down as a floor firing subwoofer and set my other gear (6 space rack, StageMate) on top, and if AC power is unavailable, a 12 volt deep cycle battery and inverter. I have plenty of power to work with a drummer. Sometimes I have a 2nd guitarist/vocalist. Those RCA's come in handy for this. I'll plug in a sub-mixer (either a super-simple Olsen or Calrad 4 channel 1/4" to RCA VC-only mixer or a fancier Yamaha with XLR's, 1/4", individual channel EQ's, and phantom power) for the extra inputs.

A digital effect option (reverbs, choruses, flanges, delays, etc.) is available. I'm glad I bought my Stagemate with this option. The plate reverb is particularly nice, and subtle. It adds a nice warmth and fullness to vocals and acoustic harp. Before digital electronics, plate reverb was available only in high end recording studios. A large, delicate room-size metal plate with several expensive and delicate transducers produced very lush high fidelity reverberations. These were *permanently* installed in their own rooms in the highest end recording studios. Ain't DSP wonderful?