Re: [Harp-L] RE: J Geils

Johnny Bishop wrote:
> As for J. Geils I too really like the first album, but when the
> Live Full House record came out it was an eye opener!
> Serves you right to suffer baby...HA!

I've always thought that the Live album was a great tutorial for
aspiring harp players.  It has some 3rd position rhythm chugging
("First I Look at the Purse", rhythm part is 3rd position on a Bb
harp, solo in second position on an F harp), a huge amount of 2nd
position stuff, including "Homework" which has no harp solo,
and "Cruisin' For Love" which is in 1st position, and has a great
solo.

Aside from split intervals/octaves, Dick uses just about every
technique you need to know -- tongue flutters, warbles, blow bends --
 all with very precise execution in a very high octane setting.  It
was always my benchmark for what a "harmonica sideman" should be.
Too bad there aren't many (any?) opportunities like that out there.

I saw the J. Geils Band when I was only 15 years old, and
immediately went home and started buying Marine Bands and a Fender
tube amp (though I couldn't afford the blackface Princeton Reverb
Dick was playing through).

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps