Re: [Harp-L] amp heads

For several years I used a Fender Bassman 100 watt silverface head, with  one
or two 2 x 12" speaker cabinets. It was too powerful for harmonica,  & prone
to feedback, But I used to have the speakers in  front of me to reduce the
squeals.... If re-tubed could be the "ultimate"?  Or at least a good loud harp
amp. Back in the 1960's my only amp was a Vox  AC50 top with 2 2x12" cabs...In
those days, each 12" speaker could only handle  25 (genuine) Watts... That was
a WONDERFUL harp amp... But some nasty person  stole it from my car after a
gig... Of course it wasn't insured... So I had  great problems replacing it!  I
was broke at the time...What I DID get as a  replacement, and used for the
next 25 years was a Vox (Jennings Musical  Industries) Vox Supreme "transistor"
amp. I bought it when JMI went into  liquidation at a very low price.... it was
quoted at 200 Watts... But more like  100 watts in reality... Again I used
this with two 2x12" cabs (They were Selmar  Bassmsan cabinets, with "VOX" cloth
on the front! I've still got those  cabs... It was a GREAT harp amp, with
built in effects. SOME solid state  amps can be good for blues harmonica, but tube
amps can be better yet... After  25 years of gigging... It just wore out! Now
I use a  Fender Blues Deluxe.  1 x 12" Combo.... (I've got a pair of them)
They are not too heavy, but  are powerful enough to compete with a blues
guitarist amplified with a 100 watt  Marshall stack...  I tried the 15 Watt "Junior"
version... It was not loud  enough and I've never experianced so much
feedback... I guess if re-tubed that  could be fixed... But it still  just isn't loud
enough!  Fender amps  are good for harmonica, but not as good as my old Vox
AC50.. The AC30,  although great for guitar is too "treble" for harmonica.
I still haven't found the amp of my dreams. The Harp King is too heavy, and
wouldn't fit in my motor car!
Best wishes
John Whiteboy Walden
London