[Harp-L] Sonny Jr. & the SJ410

Fellow harp-l-ers,
As some of your know, I've been a long, long time
lurker, and from time to time come out of lurk
mode when I feel I have something to contribute to
the community at large.  Back in the mid 80's I
began playing Lee Oskar harmonicas exclusively,
and in the mid to late 90's I was starting to make
some pretty good noise in the harp world...I was
writing catchy songs, getting media attention,
('94 cover AHN), great concert opps, (B.B. King,
Ray Charles), and had a great band, (The
Instigators, which included guitarist Martin Pugh
from Steamhammer fame, and bassist Hank Van Sickle
who left me to be with John Mayall...Don't ask me
what he was thinking).  And I was the first blues
artist to headline The IMPROV in So Cal on
Halloween '94, (and still have photos of Danny
Wilson, and his lovely wife in attendance at that
show).

But over time, my interest in the harp has
diminished, in favor of the sax, and other
instruments.  In great part because I prefer to
play amplified harmonica.  And I really was NEVER
satisfied with what was available for amplified
harp.  Like a lot of you, I tried a lot of amps,
eventually sticking with the Fender Bassman RI,
mainly because I like the authority possible with
the 4x10 configuration, (unfortunately, not happy
with the sound).  During the same period I tried a
lot of gismos, (Boss SE 50, Boss GX700, Korg PX2,
PX3, Behringer V-AMP, and the list goes on), some
in conjunction with the amp some through the PA.
All along, having to work so hard to get that tone
out to the audience, no matter what I used.  (I
know, the tone is created by the player...But to
get your tone delivered can be a challenge.  It
was for me).

That is now HISTORY!  I am the PROUD new owner of
the SJ410.  I paid the full asking price and do
NOT expect to realize any gain from sharing this
with you.  But I will tell you that this IS to me,
the best harp amp I have ever heard, period!
After I ordered the amp, I found myself imagining
how it would sound, or more realistically how it
should sound.  I now realize what Martin Pugh used
to tell me, when I would ask him why he didn't use
any effects for his guitar.  He said, when
everything is right, you should just be able to
plug in and get what you want right out of the
amp!  As a harmonica player, this SJ410 does that
for me.  It sings such a sweet song plugged
straight in, I can't imagine putting something in
the way of that!  When I 'gas' this amp, it speaks
to my soul!  It sounds exactly how I imagined it
SHOULD sound. My chops are a little dull around
the edges, but with the inspiration this amp gives
me, I'll be back on top of my game in short order.
The sax and guitar WILL gather some dust now...

As for Sonny Jr., I can't imagine what he has gone
through to realize the conclusion that is the
SJ410.  Doing business with him was straight ahead
and totally professional.  He didn't try to SELL
me anything, and in fact discouraged me from
buying accessories or spare tubes or parts with my
initial order.  Reminding me that unit comes with
a very good warranty, and extra tubes and caps.  I
placed my order on Sunday afternoon, and received
an email from Sonny Jr. on Monday indicating that
my order had shipped, and he provided me with a
UPS tracking number.  The amp arrived in excellent
condition on Friday evening, in a triple thick
cardboard box, expertly packed by Sonny Jr.
himself.  (Now I'm lovin' life).  All this to say,
if you have ever or do ever consider investing in
a professional harp amplifier, save yourself a lot
of time and money, and contact Sonny Jr.  And if
you have any questions I can answer about Sonny
Jr. or the SJ410 email me at  HYPERLINK
"mailto:stan@xxxxxxxxx"; stan@xxxxxxxxxx  Okay,
this message did get a little longer than I
planned, but then again I felt I needed to share
this, and besides I only come out of lurk mode
once in a while.

Peace to all,
Stan