Re: [Harp-L] CD Project / Copywriting

Alex, in regard to this part of your inquiry "(2) How to copywrite my
own songs?"

you can join BMI or ASCAP

https://applications.bmi.com/affiliation/joinen.aspx
http://www.ascap.com/about/howjoin.html

here's info on copyrighting, etc:
http://www.musicbizacademy.com/articles/legalchecklist.htm

Jim.

https://applications.bmi.com/affiliation/joinen.aspx

>>> "James Sterett" <jsterett@xxxxxxxxx> 3/13/2006 8:12 AM >>>

Alex, the Harry Fox agency web site should answer a lot of your
questions about licensing and get you on the way.  I've also dealt
with
Oasis for CD manufacture/packaging.  They were pretty good throughout
the process, although stumbled a bit down the home stretch... they did
come through in the end and deliver what was agreed upon.  Oasis also
included licensing and a CD Baby subscription as part of the package.
May be worth checking out:

http://www.harryfox.com/index.jsp

http://oasiscd.com/music/

Jim
www.mcmule.com

>>> "Alexander Savelyev" <Alexander.Savelyev@xxxxxxxx> 3/13/2006 5:43
AM >>>
Hi to everybody,

Plan to undertake a CD project with some of the well-known hits like
Autumn Leaves, Work song, etc. This is a commercial one, that is, CD
would sell for $$.

So, I need to clarify 2 issues: (1) How can I legally use well-known
hits in my CD?  and (2) How to copywrite my own songs?

Do I have to buy the rights for hits like that, and if Yes, of course,
where should I do this? Is there any agency dealing with this?

What's your own experience in this? Is it expensive and worth the
fuss,
If I just plan to sell the CD locally not globally? Is the price tied
the volume of CDs to be sold?

Best,

Alex