[Harp-L] Tommy Morgan

    Well Chris (M.),
                            This is one I agree with
you on. When I first heard the T.V. shows Tommy Morgan
played on, I thought who is this hack ?
(Sanford and Son, Rockford Files, Dukes Of
Hazzard,etc.). Then on virtually every harp session I
did the players would say "You know Tommy Morgan ?" I
got so irritated with it I started saying ,"Yeah, he
knows me !" It didn't take long to find out he was the
1st call harp session man in L.A. (home of ,by far,
the most recording sessions in the world).I thought
how could this hack get all this work ? Well, of
course, it turns out he's not a hack- just a lousy
blues-country diatonic
player. He has an M.A. from Juilliard and is one of
the best sight-readers on any instrument of all the
session players in L.A. He's a fantastic chromatic
player. Fortunately for me there are are times when
composers like my sound and feel  better so I get
called to redo his stuff or instead of him and
unfortunately there are just as many times
a composer likes his championship reading compared to
my pedestrian level. I did learn a lot from the one
time I met him.

       Chris "Hammer" Smith

Chris "Hammer" Smith
Hammer Smith Band