Re: Re: [Harp-L] modeling vs tubes

scooter wrote:
> The only problem with that (for me, not everyone) is that transistor
> distortion is typically harsh and well, distorted. I've alway's
> preferred the warmth and overdrive of tubes. That's not to say that
> I havent heard people sound good through solid state gear. .

The "distortion" that modeling amps use isn't traditional "transistor
distortion".  I agree completely that when a solid state amplifier is
driven to clip or distort it sounds pretty bad.  But modeling amps are
designed to run very clean, with the effects of tube distortion
emulated by signal processing below the clip level.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps
http://www.workingmansharps.com/