Re: [Harp-L] modeling vs tubes

Tubes can give you more flexibility in control of the distortion. Modeling amps/pedals can emulate particular tube distortion sounds. The key word is emulate. You can build a bunch of presets for different sounds but it's not as simple as using the volume, gain, and tone controls on a tube amp. The up side is that if you find a sound you like you can get it at any volume level.

It's not the same as overdriving the transistors. Tube distortion is mostly even harmonics, which are more pleasing to the ear. Overdriven transistors produce odd harmonics.

Mike Curtis can give you a detailed picture.

I use a modeling pedal for guitar. It weighs under five pounds. There are a couple of presets I like. I think of them as the Willie Johnson and the Hubert Sumlin.

Hear Barrelhouse Solly on the internet--that's me

http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly

Yes, it's what everyone has been clamoring for--pictures of the cats:

http://ratemykitten.com/my/?gallery=willie_mctell

scooter wrote:
In one amp I have anything from ultra clean to ultra distorted.

The only problem with that (for me, not everyone) is that transistor distortion is typically harsh
and well, distorted. I've alway's preferred the warmth and overdrive of tubes. That's not to say that
I havent heard people sound good through solid state gear. .

Scooter