[Harp-L] Re: amp face

Mike wrote:
"What is the difference between a silverface and a blackface amp? Tubes, circuitry,cabinet? I'm asking because a friend offered me a silverface Princeton for a hundred bucks."

Fender changed the cosmetic look of the faceplate on their from black to silver sometime around 1970 (it varies by model - I DON'T claim to be an expert, but there are lots of sites on the web that explain this in mind-numbing detail). Conventional wisdom has it that the older blackface models sound better due to some "improvements" that were made on the newer models. As to getting a SF Princeton for $100, jump on that deal like a dog on a bone! Generally those are wonderful harp amps and, if the one you buy isn't, take it to an amp tech and have him root around under the hood - it will be. BTW, it's very common for people to take SF Fender amps to techs to have them "blackfaced." This reverts the amp to the earlier circuitry. IMHO this is a great way to get an affordable point-to-point wired tube amp for not too much money. I still kick myself for selling off my SF Princeton Reverb years ago.
MN