RE:[Harp-L] Fender Super Reverb Feedback

Doug Writes:

"Last night I visited a guitar player friend of mine who just purchased a
Fender Super Reverb.  He complained to me that he couldn't set the volume
over a setting of 2 without getting feedback.  I plugged in my Shure 520 and
had the same problem (although, even at low volume the amp sounded nice).
Is this typical behavior for the Super Reverb?  If so would replacing the
first stage preamp tube with a lower gain tube help?  Any other
suggestions?"

Doug Havenhill

Doug, my guess is that there is probably something wrong with the amp; he
should have it checked out by a good amp tech.  The Fender Super Reverb is a
an excellent harp amp and a great guitar amp and you shouldn't have
feed-back problems with a guitar (and very little feedback with a harp as
well).  So no, it's not typical for a Super Reverb to have this kind of
problem.  If you swap out any of the pre-amp tubes it might sound good for
your harp but it'll sound like crab with the guitar.

Sam Blancato, Pittsburgh