RE: [Harp-L] Re: Sign Butter into Rock and Roll hall of Fame!!!!

From: "Jonathan Metts" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Sign Butter into Rock and Roll hall of Fame!!!!
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 00:53:12 -0600

Sorry to rain on the parade, but online petitions are worthless, period,
especially in this case because the hall of fame inductees are chosen by a
selection panel, not by popular demand.

Ummm...sounds familiar...kinda like the Presidential elections.

I'm watching the awards now...not a harp player in sight! ;((

Which further inspires me to go ahead and go to the link and
sign up for "the idea" of having Butterfield inducted...even against
all the apparent odds. I still know he was a major figure in the
development and cross over of blues and blues harmonica into
a basically white rock-n-roll world at that time. To me, he always was
and will be an icon, a hero, a legend...a pioneer....

but on another "rain on the parade" reality...as sad as it may be...

Harmonica Players...and especially those damned blues harmonica
masters...may never get the full recognition that is due....except...
Thank God...among their own.

~Donnie~
PS: I'm signing the online petition because I feel he deserves it...
and because I've always been a huge fan...regardless of weather
or not it reaches a higher level...I do it out of respect and admiration...
and because I FEEL IT NOW....momentary but positive affirmation.

Furthermore, Fred Durst is NOT in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.  He's not
even eligible; you can't be inducted until at least 25 years after the
release of your first record.

I think Butterfield deserves to join those ranks and surely will some day,
but there are surely more productive things you could do to encourage the
committee to choose him.  For starters, try writing a letter to the Hall of
Fame or encouraging music publications to editorialize on his omission.

Jonathan Metts