[Harp-L] re: messing with your instrument

Just to note that the opinions expressed on harp-l about tuning and set up are
just opinions. I started playing Lee Oskars because Hohners at the time were
lower quality. Maybe the Lee Oskars weren't set up exactly for me, but they're
consistent, they're loud, and they're well made so I learned how to adapt.
Maybe the tone is not exactly the same as Hohner(not necessarily a bad thing),
but if my tone is right, the harp sounds fine. If my tone is off, nothing I
play sounds very good. So yes you can play out of the box harps, people have
done it for years. Thanks to  customizers and harp-l you don't have to if you
don't want to.

As for just tuning being more in tune than equal tuning I have the opposite
experience. All the bands I play with or jam with tune to a tuner (thank
heavens the days of out of tune guitars is over) and the equal tuning works
well. I play a lot of chords and unison with the guitarist equal tuning sounds
good. Bear in mind I play rock and rock blues, I don't play in a Chicago blues
cover band.Also bear in mind that I also play synth and I spend hours
programming the keys to get that cool slightly out of tuning beating sound.

For me, my own intonation is much more important than the tuning of the harp.
If I play too hard or my bending is off, I don't care what the intonation is,
it's still off.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm