Re: Re: [Harp-L] sp-20`s, MS, etc.

Dave Shannon wrote:
> With regard to embossing, I'm guessing you drag the penny over the
> reed slot on the non-reed side :-)

Not meaning to answer for Richard, but no, it does no good to emboss
the opposite side of the reedslot.  Embossing occurs on the side
with the reed.  The idea is to narrow the clearance between the
edges of the reed and the slot.

> But which way do you drag across the slot? Can you be more
> specific.

Again, not to infringe on Richard's technique here, but the flat
side of the penny (or whatever tool) is perpendicular to the long
dimension of the reed slot, with the penny touching both side of the
slot equally.  Run the penny from the tip up toward the rivet end,
not so far that you deform the reed too far down in the slot.  This
is largely gauged by experience and feeling.  How hard to press is
also a matter of experience.  Press too hard and the reed binds on
the reedslot edges, not hard enough, and, well, it doesn't really
have any effect.

I'll add to Richard's regimen, adding a touch of nail polish to the
corners of the reed slot at the rivet end to head off any potential
squealing during bends or overbends on those non-Hohner harps.

Just for good measure, I'd check them with a tuner.  ;-)

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps
http://www.workingmansharps.com/