Re: [Harp-L] Modes, was 3rd Position Tunes

From: "IronMan Mike Curtis" <ironmanmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Technically, positions do not equal modes. Fortunately, this won't matter until you need to know :-)

I'm curious as to what you mean by that. If you exclude bent/altered notes and only consider the ones that are naturally on a diatonic instrument, key changes walk hand in hand with mode changes. Yes, people bend notes, and do over/underblows to get more notes, but that is technique to escape the limitations of diatonic instruments.

If I wanted to play a Mixolydian tune like "Old Joe Clark" in A, I'd play it 2nd position on a D harp since I'm not an OB player. My reason for playing that tune 2nd position would be based entirely upon 2nd position giving me the Mixolydian interval. It can be played in A 5th position on an F harp at the low end of the harp with bends and no OBs, but I doubt that many people do it that way. To play it 1st position on an A harp I'd need to be an OB player. The line blurs because of technique, even in 2nd position you need to bend a note to play the song at the low end of the harp.

There is harp life without OBs, but bending is essentially essential :0). Positions do give you notes that are at modal intervals for the associated key even though you may need to bend to get them all in the octave that you are playing in. Not being argumentative, but all those words bring me back to the first sentence that I wrote, I'm curious as to what you mean by that.

Peace and music,
Dave