Re: [Harp-L] MAJOR CORRECTION: Position to Mode Relationships

From: "Robert Coble" <robertpcoble@xxxxxxxx>
Please note that I rearranged the table, based on the 7 scale degrees (and
modes based on each scale degree) in sequence, rather than on the position
numbers.

In some ways it is useful to show it in circle of 5ths (positions) order. http://trinity.psnw.com/~dlmurray/squarecircle.html

As you can see, if you use the key of C Ionian major as the reference, as you work through the circle, the notes that you fix (accidental to the mode) to make it Ionian major again are the notes that you put the sharp and flat symbols on for the staff. For the harp, if you change the harp key, the name of the note that is accidental to the mode changes, but it's position in the scale, and most importantly, on the harp, stays the same. Very useful.

Regarding the blues scale and it's relationship to modes; it's the blues pentatonic with a flat 5 added. That means that the notes of the blues scale are all present on your harp except for that accidental flat 5 with 3rd, 4th, and 5th position (look at the bottom of the link above). 3rd is popular because no OBs are required at the low end of the harp (two consecutive octaves).

You must bend more notes in 2nd position to get the blues scale but I think that blues players prefer the sound of bent notes. The other reason for 2nd position popularity for blues is that the blues scale is often played over a major I-IV-V progression and Mixolydian has I-IV-v (major I & IV). the Dorian has i-IV-v (only the IV is major). Yes, you can bend into major chord arpeggios but few people can play the chord.

So, it is true that going the easiest position (most available notes) isn't always the most desirable, or popular, path. 2nd position only has one complete octave that requires no OBs but more people play the blues in 2nd position. Is the major I chord the reason? I don't know, perhaps one of the list's many good blues players can answer that..

Peace and music,
Dave