Fwd: [Harp-L] Re: Getting over stage fright

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Cathy Storey"
<cathy.storey@...> wrote:

> I hope to one day be able to play in front of others,
> but for right now the thought of it makes me weak in the knees!!
> How do you get over that??  Any suggestions.....??

Cathy -

We all go through that to varying degrees and have different
solutions. For me it was realizing that What I was doing was sharing
something with friends - a story, or a good feeling. Feeling like
you're having a conversation with your audience helps soften the
feeling that you're on display and all the feelings of "Why is
everybody looking at me? What'd I do?"

Also, the nervous energy that you experience can be used. If you can
channel it into your playing, you can heighten the intensity of the
atmosphere you create when you play.

Winslow