[Harp-L] HarpGear Amplification Standard 5F1

On a recent trek to "Blues City" Memphis, Tn., I was lucky enough to see my favorite contemporary harp player Billy Gibson. If you have not hear of him, he's got the goods, check him out. A master of the diatonic and chromatic harmonica. He walked in the club carrying a little Tweed Fender Pro Junior. Stock all the way since about 10 years ago. He said the speaker is just starting to sound good.Needless to say he was just totally awesome. There is no one out there playing like he does. Check him out "Live at the Rum Boogie Cafe" as well as other great blues recordings. http://www.billygibson.com/

Got me thinking, I play small clubs , but never got that out of a small amp.. surely not a Pro Junior. Like the rest of you, I have tried them all. From Fender's, to SJ's. Some ok, great like SJ's, but not small. Heard about the HarpGear amps. Checked their web site and was impressed, Then I heard two great player's, Adam Gussow and Dennis Gruenling take the Standard 5F1 through the ropes. Impressed again for sure. Just so happens Brian Purdy who builds these wonderful small amps lives about a hour and a half from me. How often do we get to hear a amp before we purchase. Not often. We connected via phone ( he was at the mall shopping with his wife and returned my call) Is that good or what? We set a date and connected. He came to work early to meet with me. I brought a few mics, first my current favorite, Shure 545SD. Cranked the amp to 5-6 got my mic close to it, no feedback. Good start. Blew a few notes and was extremely pleased. Now that's the sound I wanted, loud, punchy with a nice bark. I walked out with it. great tweed, awesome chassis. Brian is really proud of these and he wanted to take the back cover off to show me every detail. All I cared about was how it made me sound. This guy is picky and he makes sure everything is right. Walking out the door he adjusted the feet on the amp to make sure it sat level.

He should be building houses. A great person to be deal with...with a great small amp going. It will blow you away. So bottom line, I play small clubs. This amp with the line out is all you will every need. No, I am not getting paid to say this. Just a happy camper. So happy I have two, one for the house and one for the studio.