Re: [Harp-L] What's a good "light-weight" amp that can cut through guitars?

hey dennis,

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, dennis
moriarty <dmoriarty@...> wrote:

>   I have been playing with top quality bands in jams
and getting lots
> of stage time.

congrats!

> I have a terrific small amp from Brian at
Harpgear.com
> (great tone and loud but not relative to 2 raging
guitarists, drums,
> etc.).

i haven't heard anyone playing through one of his
amps. how big is it? since it's "boutique" is it
louder than most other amps its size?

>Playing through the PA at these jams is not
dependable.

some people asked about this. i feel your pain. i like
to play through my Harp Commander whenever possible,
but i've had problems before. sometimes i can't get a
line into the PA that doesn't already have a mic in
it, or the sound guy doesn't want to hook up a box
he's  never seen into his PA and risk blowing
something. sometimes it just takes too long to explain
and the band is getting antsy for you just start
already! that said, when i have been able to use it
i've had practically zero problems with being heard.
and the sound works for me.

> Being
> in nyc I take public transport everywhere meaning I
carry my
> equipment. Do I need a 12'' speaker amp.

sounds like it. i dunno what size amps you're
competing with (that the guitar players are using) but
if you need to carry it, you could get a Blue Jr, or
maybe find a small amp with two 10's that you could
put on one of those wheeled cart things like guitar
players do all the time. (have fun on the stairs!!!!)

>Are there any ballsy,
> soulful sounding amps that are relatively light in
weight and don't
> sound trivial adjacent to "too-loud but difficult to
negotiate with"
> bands? Using the line out on Brian's amp seems to be
too complicated
> for the leaders of the jam at the point you are
called up to play.

first of all, it can't be that complicated. one end of
the cable comes out of your amp, the other goes into
an input on the PA. easy-peasey. just carry around
your own 20' guitar cable (i assume it's a 1/4" out on
your amp?)
alternatively, what if you use the line out into a
larger amp that's already on stage? people do this all
the time (check the list archives for amp "slaving",
or the like) or if you happen to find an amp on stage
with a post-preamp input, then you're set.
you could also ask them to mic your amp. chances are
there's going to be a mic that's not getting any use
on stage. as an added bonus, you can set your tone to
your liking and the sound guy can make sure you're
heard.

here's one last idea: what if you get an extension
cabinet for your amp? in other words, something you
can carry around (speakers and a power amp?) that you
can plug your harpgear amp into. you could probably
fit it all on a dolly, and the cabinet could be pretty
light. i'm not sure if that would actualy work but...

  --Jp