[Harp-L] bending

Greg Heumann wrote:

"But - upon reading your post, I immediately disassembled an A harp and tried both blow- and draw-bending the single reed, and discovered that I indeed could. SO now I'm wondering if there are 2 physically distinct phenomena here? I.e., the first is "2-reed-involved-bends" and the second is "lone reed bends"

Can you shed any light?"

I can, and so can Winslow. Indeed, he's done so several times before.

I know this sounds mean-spirited and like a put-down, but it is not (well, at least not the former), however, there are some truly great posts on the subject of bending and the physics involved in the harp- l archives. There's even a search function!

For those who don't know, the archives can be found here:

http://harp-l.org/pipermail/harp-l/

Here's a post by Winslow on the subject of bending on tremolo harps-- which addresses the various types of bends available on harmonicas:

http://harp-l.org/mailman/htdig/harp-l/2003-July/msg00413.html

And more:

http://harp-l.org/mailman/htdig/harp-l/2003-July/msg00341.html

These were on the first and second pages of just searching for "bending".

Let's see what I get when I try "Winslow and bending" (I'd do "bending Winslow", but while skinny he's not the most flexible guy I know:):

Both of those are on the first page...

And, that's just posts by Winslow.

The point is, the harp-l archives are probably the greatest collected thoughts on all aspects of the harmonica available. Now, there is also a ton of misinformation there, but since these usually get dealt with during a thread, you can easily see what's what.

Perhaps I've just been on-line too long. It seems to me that checking archives and Google searches are becoming a rare occurrence, when once such basic fieldwork was at the heart of what being online was all about. Oh well.

()() JR "Bulldogge" Ross () () & Snuffy, too:) `----'