[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 33, Issue 9 Seydel Melodic Maker

Hello, Bulldog. I always read your posts with great interest You and  Winslow
are very educated and knowledgeable about the mechanics and techniques  of
harmonicas.

This is to inform everyone that the C.A. Seydel Sohne company makes a
"Melodic Maker" 10-hole diatonic, with the exact note setups as the Lee Oskar
"Melody Maker." The Seydel
model is a new one, probably less than a year on the market. Both Oskar and
Seydel harmonicas are airtight and great harmonicas.

I'm not a salesman or representative of either company, just a harmonica
hobbyist who loves the products.

In the most recent Lee Oskar catalog that I have, (possibly 1998), the
"Melody Maker" is trademarked, but the other 3 types of Oskar harps  (Major
Diatonic, Natural Minor and Harmonic Minor) aren't. I don't think that Lee could
trademark these 3 additional tunings, because they've been used since the early
days of the 20th century, maybe longer.

Oskars have been manufactured for an estimated 23 years:  In the  back of my
plastic-ring bound catalog, it shows a reprint from the Musical  Merchandise
Review of December 1993,
"Lee Oskar Celebrates 10th Anniversary."

The catalog, a set of color-coded pages for each harp model, also contains  a
6-page bio of Lee and his company.

I have heard of no legal action from the Lee Oskar company about this
"Melodic Maker" name similarity. I have talked to Lee on the phone many times in
the past (not recently), and he is the friendliest, kindest person. Maybe he
doesn't mind the word usage on the Seydel products, maybe he doesn't know about
it.

In either case, it's up to Mr. Oskar to decide if this is a trademark
infringement, or a compliment.

Thanks for "reeding, " John Broecker, Milwaukee Harmonica Club.