[Harp-L] Subject: Jason Ricci & New Blood at Paula Jean's - 4/29/06

Not only had a great dinner, but got to see Jason Ricci & the  latest
incarnation of New Blood at Paula Jean's Supper Club in East  Setauket, Long Island
last Saturday Night.  Steve Johnson,  Jason's regular drummer (for those who
still don't know)...sustained some  injuries including a broken wrist recently
and has had to sit out some  gigs necessitating missing the French and Belgian
tour as well.   Jason had a fill-in drummer Mike (sorry don't know the
spelling of his  surname) for the Paula Jean's gig....they'd just picked him up the
morning  before and he had absolutely no time to rehearse.

Despite what must have been much trepidation....the gig came off  great...not
the least because Todd (Buckweed) Edmunds on  bass was able to give Mike his
cues ....as well as did Shawn  Starski...allowing Jason his usual free rein on
harp.  After some  initial seeming awkwardness they settled into a nice
groove....the  audience didn't notice a thing (at least those who hadn't heard them
play  before).  Jason was in top form as always...he has an ability to play
over all personal issues (something I have to learn from him).

Then when he brought young Zack to the stage...the audience  erupted.  This
was an especially fun crowd....completely into the  moment....giving Zack all
the time he needed to find his way...then  thoroughly enjoying the call and
response number he and Jason  performed.  The applause at the end went on and on,
wasn't "purely  polite" by any means.

At the end of the evening, Jason himself seems to miss the irony of  closing
the show by announcing "one last small number"  ....then launching into
Goenophiny (the longest in his  repertoire).  I'm worn out watching him in action
for the hours he  puts in. He's non-stop motion.

After packing up the Van, they were headed to Maine next....at an  ungodly
hour of the night...so we at least made sure they had some late  dinner/early
breakfast hot food in their stomachs, before hitting the  road.  This band sure
pays their dues...and Jason himself was taking  the first leg of the trip
behind the wheel....unbelievable.  I've no  idea how he does it...where he musters
up the energy after  putting on that kind of show....

Can't wait to see them again at Terra Blues tonight...only wish I  could get
to the Mexicali, NJ gig as well....but then Garry (Hodgson) will  always
provide the downloads to those gig too.  If any of  you haven't yet seen them live
and has the opportunity do  so, do yourself the biggest favor of your life as
a harpist and go  see this band if they're coming to your town...and be
grateful that you  got to see him in person.  You'll be blown away by his abilities
on the diatonic.  (This is not to mention one of the best young  guitarists
EVER....incredible bass player...and drummer..the entire band  is phenomenal).

Elizabeth