[Harp-L] Re: Winslow's bending and stiff reeds experiment

Wow, Winslow, what a great experiment! I'm a harp newby
but I'll try to brave my shyness, my laziness and my
English to explain what happened to me.
I disassembled a C harp and I played the 1st hole blow
reed simply by inhaling, it was a C. Then I bent the pitch
down playing a B: the reed seemed to bend downward (i.e.
toward my mouth), the vibrational amplitude reduced and
the center of vibration seemed to shift near the free end
of the reed. Then I blow bent the pitch. Oh, hell! It was
more complicated to investigate what happened, but it
seemed to me that increasing the pitch (from a note
between C and C# to D) the reed bent upward (i.e. toward
the mirror), the center of vibration  shifted near the
reed free end and the amplitude decreased.

So it seems to me that: the reed bends in both experiments
but not in the same direction, it goes away from the
reedplate blow bending, while approaches it draw bending.

I apologize if my explanation is a little incomprehensible.

Regards
Riccardo