[Harp-L] comb questions

Greg Hommert (please sign your emails--I find it makes it a lot easier to know who's writing and saying what than looking at the email address itself--thanks) writes:

"What material does Filisko and Sleigh use to coat/ seal their wooden combs? If this is unknown information as to the exact material, what could be used to do this?"

To the best of my knowledge, neither Joe, Richard nor their partner Jimmy Gordon have ever definitively answered this question in public. From what they have said, it is a form of urethane-type varnish which is labeled "child safe". Essentially any clear sealant which is designed for children's toys should be fine as these are specifically formulated to allow for ingestion. Though, usually not for the extended periods of time which harmonicas are played. Still, it's about as good as you can expect. Of course, it doesn't have to be clear, in case you want to be more colorful.

Greg further writes:

"What type of wood is traditionally used in wooden comb harmonicas?"

I believe the type of wood Hohner has used (thus the most "traditional" in the US market at least) is pearwood. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but pearwood was what the wood was called. Exactly what pearwood is, and if this is a specific or a generic name (ie, "poplar" and "pine" cover a lot of ground) is something I couldn't say.

"Any opinions on possibly superior alternatives?"

Most plastic, various metals, wood composites (what Fillisko, Sleigh and Gordon use on their highest-end models) any relatively non-toxic hardwood such as African blackwood or perhaps densely grained maple not necessarily in that order depending on what criteria are being considered.

Paul R. writes:

"Most people use Beeswax to seal combs. If you look in the Harp L archives there are lots of posts on how to do it.
Some people use french polish and others use polyurethane varnish as well. But the general consensus for the best job it seems is Beeswax."

Seeing as how the general consensus is that the Fillisko Guild is the highest end of harmonica costumizers and they specifically don't use beeswax, it would indicate to me that this contradicts the last sentence.

Beeswax will do it, however it does have some distinct negatives (and these are in the archives). First, it does burn, and more than one person I know has burned themselves trying to seal combs with beeswax. Of course, this can be done safely, but it's something to consider (and personally I'd ask myself if I wanted to bother with the effort compared to just using a varnish). Second, it can melt out of the comb. Now, most people won't get their harmonicas hot enough for this to be an issue, but, again, I'd rather avoid it. Third, some people do have a contact reaction to beeswax, and even if you don't have such immediately, contact reactions can develop over time with repeated exposure.

If I were making combs I would consider the material first and what properties are best for the job (hard, inert, easy to work, etc...), then address whatever issues come up secondly. If it is a wood or wood-composite which needs to be sealed, I would then look at what is the easiest and safest way to go. A good quality varnish designed for objects which are intended to go in the mouth (kitchenware, toddler toys, etc...) will probably be a bit more expensive than a chunk of beeswax, but a lot easier to work with and do at least as good a job, if not better. To me, ease of work is a big part of it. I don't know how long it takes to seal a comb with beeswax from start to finish (melting wax, sealing comb, letting comb dry...) but I do know that I can apply varnish from a paint can over the surface of a harmonica comb in no more than a minute.

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()   & Snuffy, too:)
`----'