Re: [Harp-L] Gapping/Embossing, am I doing it right?...long.

There are customizers who make a specialty of gapping and voicing reeds. I don't doubt that they can do a fine job and none of the remarks that follow whould be interpreted as criticism. That said, I agree with you that there is no reliable, objective, articulate information available on gapping. It belongs in the category of a guild secret. Those who can do it either can not or will not give us an articulate description of their proceedure. However, the subject interests me and (I don't claim to be expert) I have spent a fair amount of time investigating the subject...mostly in relation to chromatics. Here are the approaches with which I am familiar:

1. The gap should be about as high as the end of the reed is thick. This is a very crude rule-of-thumb and should not be trusted.

2. If only one reed is involved and its neighbors are performing well, then its gap should be between theirs. This is a lot better than #1.

3. Blow/draw it and see how it works. If the reed is breathy and hard to start, decrease the gap. If it starts with gentle pressure but chokes at high volume then increase it. Even the experts use some variation of this. I am not very familiar with gapping for bending and overblowing but I think that gaps should be at the small end of the acceptable range for these functions. Many claim that reeds and players are different and no one arch-gap geometry is right for them all. They claim that only long experience can give you the art. I find this distasteful because I think that there should be an objective method that can be taught to a beginner that will enable him to do good gapping.

4. Put the reedplate on an air table and measure the pressures at which the reed begins to speak and chokes. I find that a properly gapped reed will begin to speak at about 1/2" of water pressure and will not choke at pressures up to 10" of water. The design of an air table and the means of measurement of the pressures is beyond the scope of this post.

5. I made an instrument that used a little solid-state laser (like the ones used in pointers) to actually measure the height of the gap without touching the reed. (Feeler gauges don't work because the reed moves before there is anything to feel.) For chromatics, I compiled a data base of measurements from about a dozen reedplates and plotted them on a length vs gap graph. I observed that there was a fairly large gap range for every length of reed.
From this , I concluded that gap is not very critical. I gapped a CBH2016
using the middle of the gap range for each reed length and it worked fine. I have not yet proved it, but I think that by using my laser measuring tool, I could essentially duplicate the performance on a similar harp of any harp that I could measure.
This method has some disadvantages...it cannot be done with windsavers in place and it takes about 30 seconds for each measurement. I can share the design of the laser measuring instrument, but not in this post.

Arching: Sissy jones and some others put their finger on the reed and prevent it from bending at the base while lifting the tip. The resulting shape is a smooth arc tangent to the reedplate at the root and with the tip at the desired gap. This has the advantage of minimizing airflow near the base of the reed where it cannot contribute much to inducing vibration or creating sound. Others may disagree, but I think that as long as the arch is close to the above description, the exact shape is not very critical.

Embossing. I'm a bit skeptical about embossing. The clearance between the reed and the slot is only about .001" to .002" The amount of air that will flow through this clearance is very small compared to the total flowing through the slot of a vibrating reed or through the gap of an opening reed in the same (diatonic) chamber. If you really narrow that clearance much, the reed (which is not necessarily perfectly centered or aligned) may strike the edge.

I hope that this helps you feel a bit less confused about gaps. It is a topic worth much more discussion and about which the acknowledged experts could be much more generous with their information.

Vern
Visit my harmonica website www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Greg Hommert" <mythacles@xxxxxxx>