Re: [Harp-L] comb questions

I just wanted to add that I too believe that wood offers no real tonal
advantage over plastic but I think that it is indeed much prettier.   But
there is something that wood does offer over plastic combs.  Wood combs can
be shaped in real subtle ways. The rounding over of the tine ends, making
subtle alterations in the thickness, retrofitting to slightly different
sized reed plates - these tweaking issues are real hard to do with a plastic
comb.

I've often wondered how Bakelite would work as a comb material.  You could
have some pretty cool colors and marble and granite-like color combinations
with bakelite.  I'm not sure at all how sympathetic a work material Bakelite
would be but you can imagine the possibilities just in terms of looks.
Maybe when I'm rich and don't have to work any more I can fool with this
kind of stuff rather than just playing the things.  (!)

Sam Blancato, Pittsburgh