Re: [Harp-L] Jason Ricci At Sweet Caroline's in Winchester, VA

Just saw Mr. Ricci at Sweet Caroline's.

http://www.millertek.net/sweetcarolines/

WOW!

In the future (if not now) he will be a standard that harp players will measure themselves against (in a manner similar to Little Walter, Big Walter, etc.).

I was there last night too and I agree 100%. I've been playing about 12 years, but until I heard Mr. Ricci I had no idea how far someone could take the harmonica. I've downloaded many of his live performances, but had to see it in person to really appreciate it. He is the only harp player I've heard who captures the swing and feeling of Little Walter, but takes it to new levels of feeling, musicianship, and intensity. Simply amazing. The band was tight too, despite having a last-minute fill in drummer. Jason's guitar player Shawn is a star in his own right, with great tone and feeling. He never hits a bad note.

I was worried I might be too tired to make a long trek and stay up 4 hours past my bedtime in my old age, but the incredible high from seeing Mr. Ricci's performance kept me wide awake and practicing during my 90 minute trip home.

He did a wireless crowd walk and stood right in front of me for nearly a minute. Sweat was dripping from his brow, through his upper eye lashes and onto his lower eyelashes creating nearly a sheet of sweat over his open eyes. All the while creating one new thought after another. Simply masterful. Emotionally and technically, he left no stone unturned. He bent the harmonica to his will (pun intended).

It was great meeting you and other Harp-L people last night (I was the guy sitting next to you at this point in the show.)

Tom Muck