Re: [Harp-L] more on combs

Jonathan Ross wrote:

> Tim Moyer wrote:
>> " As to the possibility of a contact reaction to beeswax, this
>> is highly unlikely.  Beeswax is used in a number of common
>> cosmetics, and carries no material warnings for skin contact.
>> What's somewhat more common, however, is the beeswax acting as
>> a sensitizer for reaction to other materials.  "
>
> I refer you to this page:
>
> http://www.sciencestuff.com/msds/C1298.htm
>
> Particularly this:  "Avoid long term exposure to skin or by
> inhalation."  Which is a wonderful definition of the act of
> playing a harmonica.

As a matter of comparison, I refer you to this page:

http://www.sciencestuff.com/msds/C2959.html

It contains this similar warning: "Avoid long term exposure to skin
or by inhalation", as well as the First Aid Measures:

"SKIN: Wash exposed area with soap and water. If irritation
persists, seek medical attention.

EYES: Wash eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes,
lifting lids occasionally. Seek Medical Aid. INHALATION: Remove to
fresh air. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If
breathing is difficult, give oxygen

INGESTION: Give several glasses of milk or water. Vomiting may occur
spontaneously, but it is not necessary to induce. Never give
anything by mouth to an unconscious person."

This chemical is deionized water (ultra pure).

Seems that maybe some of this is boilerplate.

I'm not trying to say that beeswax is as benign as water; certainly
this is not true.  But in a chemical handling environment, some
precautions should be taken with any chemical.

Beeswax is used in products that are intended to be applied directly
to mucous membranes, such as lip balms and skin creams.  I'm sure it
causes reactions in some percentage of the population, just as do
some petroleum distillates, as does the nickel plating on old Hohner
harmonica covers, etc.

In my opinion, the problems with beeswax's efficacy as a sealant are
more serious than problems with individuals' sensitivity to it as an
allergen.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps