Fwd: [Harp-L] Toots harmonica patterns

The legato around the slide-alternate C and F is only part of the
picture. It's what supports Toots' assertion that Eb and Bb are the
smoothest keys as their major scales can be played with the fewest
breath changes and offer the greatest choice of breath combinations
at any point in those scales.

However, finding ways to combine the slide with largely same-breath
combinations - beyond scalewise note sequences - that make sense
harmonically and idiomatically in any given context are a much bigger
part of the picture. This often goes to chord substitutions and
extensions, but always viewed from the point of what lies smoothly on
the tuning layout of the standard chromatic harmonica. For instance,
how can a C major arpeggio (a sequence of three contiguous blow
notes) make sense over an Eb7 chord? That's a relatively easy one,
but you get the idea. This is something I think Wim has already
explored.

Comparing the Charlie Parker II-V-I progressions to what Toots has
actually done could be interesting, though Toots' work can be
analyzed with reference to jazz harmony in general. Considering all
the developments in jazz that Toots has absorbed in the last fifty
years, it's the route I'm nore inclined to take.

While I'm familiar with the Charlie Parker Omnibook, I'm not aware of
anyone extracting and presenting or analyzing the II-V-I progressions
specifically in a book. Can you tell me more about this?

WInslow

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Bonfiglio <bon@...>
wrote:

I had several chromatic students in the 70's - Clint Hoover, Randy
Singer, Rob Paparozzi, Donny Brooks, etc. that were not interested in
classical music and wished to take the chromatic into jazz or at
least
improvisation.  I had a discussion with Toots at his apartment in New
York City on the East Side about his approach and he said that he
took
Charlie Parker II-V-I progressions and played them through 12 keys
figuring out which ones fit i the harmonica.

I then had Chris DePino buy a copy of Charlie Parker II-V-I
progressions which he still has.  It would be interesting to take
Winslow's discoveries of how Toots approached his solos and apply
them
to the ii-V-I Parker progressions.  I think the key is the legato
around doubled C's and F's.

Harmonically yours,

Robert Bonfiglio

Winslow wrote:
Years ago I transcribed several of Toots' solos with an eye to seeing
how he came up with melodic patterns that "lay well" on the
instrument - my idea of what lay well being very similar to your:

"lines which are based on the layout of the harmonica . . .. lines
that need 'limited' control over all the variables at the same time."