[Harp-L] RE: Toots harmonica patterns

Richard Hunter writes:

But then Toots doesn't use Robert Bonfiglio's corner switching
technique; if he did, the accenting might just work.  As I noted here a
while ago when some of us were posting our takes on "A Night in
Tunisia," I think corner switching is the best, if not the only, way to
get the accenting right on that melody, which jumps around a lot more
than is comfortable to handle otherwise.  This technique hasn't been
heavily explored by most jazz players, but I've tried to play some of
Clint Hoover's stuff, and I bet he uses it.  Whatever he's using, it's
very good stuff -- the best post-Toots jazz chromatic I've heard.

I was Clint Hoover's chromatic teacher for several years, got him started actually since he could already play wicked diatonic. Clint definitely switches since I teach corner switching in the second lesson. Nice guy too: saw him again when I played a Concerto with the Minnesota Orchestra.

If anyone is interested, I will cover corner switching at the Grand Canyon Harmonica Seminar so come and join Rob Paparozzi and I at the Canyon.

BTW, I just had a great concert with my Bonfiglio Group joined by none other than Rob Paparozzi and he sounds terrific on chromatic as well as diatonic. What I love about Rob;s chromatic is the harmonic structure is more like jazz meets rock and roll sax. Great stuff!!!

Let me email Chris DePino and see if I can't get a copy of the Parker ii-V-I progressions to the Canyon Seminar.

Harmonically yours,

Robert Bonfiglio

PS- I just might add that you people don't know how lucky you are to have people like Winslow and Richard Hunter on this list, thank you.