[Harp-L] Amp and mic options

Patrick said :
>Hi
This is my first posting to harp-l. I´m gathering all info I can get on
harpequipment as I want to get a set-up that want ruin me.
I would like to get comments on the digital Vox ad 30 (or similar) VT
amps<

 IMHO, the amp choice might be based on "tone taste "preferences and the dynamics of your band and venue. For small venues and when the music is not loud ( no drummer, drummer not hitting hard, guitarist not cranked) a lower powered amp can work well. I have a 5 watt Valco-Oahu that sounds beautiful with different mikes. More versatile, I have a 15-18 watt Valco-Oahu  w/10 inch speaker that is louder. I also have used a Fender Blues Junior Billem modded that is very clean sounding. I have miked them and had good results at louder gigs although I have had problems hearing myself on stage with monitor placement, feedback, etc. I have found tweaks to help but the results vary in jam/ sit -in situations. For some gigs,using a Boss Blues Driver playing through a DI box has a nice crunch, and is quick and easy. I finally got a Sonny Jr. 410 for louder jams. Now I have options for different situations. With the 410, I have less excuses for not getting a good sound.
 I have various mikes- Astatic Ceramic element, Astatic Crystal element, several Shure CR and CM elements ( I used to use Shaker mics). Each has a quality of its own and all seem to sound as good as the player is through all the amps. One mic I really like is from Steve at www.thunderharpmics.com. He has built some nice mics with a element that has a particularly low end and complements my tube amps. I enjoy owning and using different equipment, however, if I had to pick one amp, I would go for the 410. I have enjoyed learning, if I started over again, I would buy the 410 and start tongue-blocking It is capable of covering a lot of situations. I have not played through the Meteor or any Harp Kings, or Kendrick amps.
 Thanks,
 Brian