Fwd: [Harp-L] Legatto:Slide or breath pattern?

It's really situational.

But to back up for a moment, the whole question of breath pattern and
its connection to legato is not as straightforward as you might
imagine.

It's true that the most straightforward way to create legato is to
play a sequence of notes without interrupting the breath flow.
Changing between blow and draw puts the brakes on the airflow and
slams it into reverse. How can you do that and still play legato?
There are ways of doing it, and there need to be - not everything can
be played without changing breath direction.

But that's a separate discussion. Let's go back to the C/F question,
and assume that for legato purposes, maintaining a breath direction
is desirable.

Consider these three note sequences involving F:

D-F-A  (all draw)

E-F-G (all blow)

But then we find situations where the choice is not so obvious:

Eb-F-G

Do we phrase Eb and F together as draw notes, or F and G together as
blow notes. Which are the two most important to connect in the
context. Where do the strongest rhythmic emphases lie in the
underlying meter, beat, and beat subdivisions, and where are the
accents in the melody itself? Do we want to phrase strong-to-weak or
weak-to-strong?

Now look at some contexts for C:

A-B-C-D-Eb

Bb-C-D-F

All the above - and shorter fragments of them - can be played all
draw.

But what about:

Bb-C-Db

Again, do we phrase Bb-C as draw, or C-Db as blow. Once again, where
are the strongest rhythmic emphases in the underlying meter, beat,
and beat subdivisions, and where are the accents in the melody itself?

As to the other question about which is easier to "compensate for":
if you mean which is easier to execute physically, it's a tradeoff.

Moving the harp to a neighboring hole and/or the slide between in and
out requires small movements and small muscles of small objects (hand
msucles, the harp itself, the slide button). Changing the breath
direction involves very large muscles, the large gasbags called your
lungs, and the considerable weight of about a gallon of air.

But two other considerations come into play. First, the most complex
combinations of motions will be the hardest to coordinate. A breath
change all by itself may be easier to execute than some combination
of hole and slide change, despite the greater physical effort. Also,
slide-and-hole change combinations sometime just feel slippery and
hard to nail down in time while breath changes can have the feeling
of concrete points easily grabbed.

Winslow

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, r_mcgraw@... wrote:

Interesting discussion of Toots, corner switching, etc...here's a
question,especially for  Bonfiglio, Winslow, Rob P, etc..
Can a generalization be made about  how to play  C and  F in terms of
playing legatto or is it always situational? In other words is breath
pattern or slide usage eaiser to compensate for? [Hope my question
makes sense?]
WVa Bob